Sex is a choice. Until you evaluate your life, expectations, future, past, and what you are looking for in a relationship, you are not prepared to be sexually active. It’s important to get to know yourself and your choices so you can live the healthiest, happiest life.
Relationships, dating and love should be focused on freedom and respect. If you ever feel pressured by the person you are dating to go physically or sexually farther than you are comfortable with, you are not being respected or sexually free from pressure.
Before you make the choice to have sex outside of a committed, monogamous relationship like marriage, consider the risks:
- What do I want from this sexual relationship?
- Can I discuss sex with someone I trust, apart from my partner? (Like mom or dad?)
- What steps do I take to prevent pregnancy? (Like the birth control pill?)
- What steps do I take to prevent getting an STI? (Like condoms?)
- Am I prepared to have a baby?
- Have I talked with my doctor?
- Will I regret having sex with this person?
- Do I love my partner enough to wait for them?
- What will my future spouse / partner think?
- Do I feel pressured to have sex with this person?
- Do I need alcohol or drugs to do this? (It’s not safe to have sex under the influence).
Check out our other articles to do with sex for more information.
Remember that you are important. Your life counts, and you can make a difference in this world. If you ever need to talk about this or anything else, feel free to get in touch with us. We’re here for you.