We’ve all heard that it’s up to us to help slow down the impact of climate change. We know that our resources are diminishing and it is our responsibility to save them. But that’s not always easy.
Why is adding a little more ‘green’ to our lives so important? Well, did you know…
- Only 3% of the water on our planet is fresh water – and most of it is not accessible because it is frozen in the polar ice caps?
- The average North American household uses 53 gallons of water a day – but some people living in water-depleted countries survive on only 4 gallons a day?
- Since 1960, the amount of packaging in land fills has increased 80% – this means that because we are throwing away more garbage, we are taking up more living space and putting wildlife at risk?
By working together we can change statistics such as these, by using less water, consuming less electricity, and disposing of less waste. Looking for some ideas on how to make a change in our planet? Try these:
Every Drop Counts
- You can save up to 2 gallons of water by turning off the tap when brushing your teeth
- You can save about 20 gallons of water by taking a 7-minute-or-less shower instead of a bath. Turning off the water while you lather can help with this!
- Using cold-water detergent in a full load of laundry saves electricity on heating water- and waiting until you have a full load can save two times as much water as half-loads
- You can save 2 litres of water for each litre you drink, by drinking filtered tap water instead of bottled water – it takes 3 litres of water to produce 1 litre of bottled water
- You can save electricity by turning the lights off when you step out of a room
- Opening up all of the blinds in your house during day time should provide enough sunlight for your daily activities without having to turn any lights on
- You can save energy by unplugging electronics when they aren’t being used
- You can save 60% of power used to run a computer just by turning off the screen
- You can save up to 1000 plastic bags by using 1 canvas bag each time you go grocery shopping
- You can purchase items with less packaging when shopping – which means you will throw away much less later. Do you really need bananas wrapped in plastic?
- You can save 300 plastic bottles by using one pitcher of filtered water from your tap
- Bringing reusable containers instead of throwaway bags to school or work can save the amount of garbage you produce daily
Giving ourselves the opportunity to learn about climate change, and take part in simple steps to make a difference, is an amazing way to become an active member of our community and our world. If you want some more ideas on how to “live green”, check out some of these trusted organizations:
- Green Living: greenlivingonline.com
- World Wildlife Foundation: earthhour.org
- David Suzuki Foundation: davidsuzuki.org
Lembre-se que você é importante. Suas contagens de vida, e você pode fazer a diferença neste mundo. Se você precisar conversar sobre este ou qualquer outra coisa, Sinta-se livre para entrar em contato conosco. Estamos aqui para você.